Tuesday 27 March 2018

Turning South


Wednesday, October 1st, 1823 – I went across the river again four miles down from the Falls, where there is great diversity of soil. Opposite what is called the Whirlpool grew three species of Quercus on barren rocks. On my returning to the inn I found that Mr Briscoe was to leave in the afternoon. The weather being bad, and the seeming approach of winter, made me anxious to get to New York as soon as possible. We accordingly set out and passed Stamford, where Mr Briscoe informed me Captain Sabine lived. The face of the country is variable, with some beautiful rising eminences. At 4 o’clock we reached Queenston, where I parted from Mr Briscoe. I am under great obligations to this gentleman. Crossed the river at Queenston for Lewiston on my way to Lockport. I got a box, packed my plants and then went to bed. 

Douglas has unequivocally turned south now, en route for New York. The journey will not be uneventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment