Monday 19 March 2018

Taking stock



Tuesday, September 23rd, 1823 – I made an excursion across the river [from Amherstburg, to which he has returned after the coat-theft incident] to the Michigan Territory [so he is back in the USA]. I have found in the neighbourhood a rose cultivated which I suspect to be of European origin. I am informed that it was taken by the French to Canada at the first settling of the country.

Mr Briscoe today received orders to remove to Kingston by the first steamboat, which news sealed my disappointments: first a long passage, the loss of my coat and money, bad weather – all these combined made me glad to relinquish the idea of Canada at such a late period of the season. It certainly is a fine field, and would afford an abundant harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment