Monday 12 March 2018

Shoot them down



Wednesday, September 17th, 1823 – This morning I made a visit to a small island in the River Detroit opposite to Amherstburg. It appeared to be a spot worthy of notice, as I found before evening. The whole island is low and I was told frequently overflowed by the water from the upper lakes. The soil is very rich black loam, covered with trees of large size [Quercus sp]. 

With a shot from my gun I cut some branches, leaves and acorns. They seem to me to be fine, and different from any which I had seen before. With a few more shots I secured specimens and paper of seeds. 

On the south end of the island the trees are much smaller; it probably is not a distinct species, as it was growing on sand on the margin of the river.

How glad I am to see my rose of yesterday growing in perfection – very strong growth. I lost no time in securing plants and seeds. In the middle of the island, in rich soil, I found Lonicera [honeysuckle sp]; the birds had devoured all the berries, which prevented me from having it in my power to carry it in that state. I then secured plants of it. I crossed the river and secured the plants of Rosa and Lonicera, and put away my specimens and seeds.

In the evening I called on Mr Briscoe for the purpose of soliciting his advice as to the most likely places of affording a harvest. He strongly recommended a visit to the River Thames, as also did his friend Rob. Richardson MD, physician for the Indian department. He kindly offered to take me in his car as far as Sandwich, which is fifteen miles from Amherstburg. As there was no time to lose, I proposed to start in the morning. These being agreed to, we parted at 10 o’clock pm.

Here we see Douglas starting to fulfill the second part of his remit on this trip. He has already been looking at new and improved varieties of fruit trees, and will continue to do so on his return to New York and Philadelphia. But here he has broadened his scope and is plant collecting more generally for species not known in Britain which he might profitably introduce for the Horticultural Society. And I love the image of him roaming free on an island in the Detroit River, blasting away with his gun to secure specimens. I guess in those rough-and-ready times the sound of gunfire wasn't uncommon.

No comments:

Post a Comment