Saturday 18 November 2017

First botanising, and first meeting with Dr Hosack



August 6th, 1823 - This morning can never be effaced; it had rained a little during the night, which cooled the atmosphere and added a hue to Nature's work which was truly grand - the fine orchards of Long Island on one side and the variety of soil & vegetation of Staten on the other. I once more thought myself happy.


I went to the city in the afternoon to see what steps I should take as to the progression of my business; finding that I could not get my luggage for two days to come, I began to feel uneasy after having such a long passage, and then to be perplexed.


I had an interview with Dr Hosack, whom I found an intelligent botanist, an agreeable person and much disposed to aid me.  I landed again at Staten Island.




Dr David Hosack was a prominent figure in New York in the early 1800s. A noted, surgeon, physician and botanist he acted as Douglas's mentor on this expedition and opened up a wealth of contacts to him among the great and good of American east-coast society. Douglas would be carrying letters of introduction to people like Hosack, probably instigated by Hooker on behalf of the Society and without Hosack in the background to kick-start the contacts Douglas may not have accomplished as much as he did.  Of course there was a Scots connection too. Hosack’s father was from Elgin in NE Scotland, part of the Scottish diaspora Douglas was to encounter many times on his travels.  
 
In 1801, Hosack had purchased twenty acres of land in a fashionable section of New York City. At the time, the land was in a rural area, a full three and a half miles from the city limit. 

"The whole tract of land was intended by Professor Hosack for a botanical garden, the prime object of which was to be the collection and cultivation of native plants of this country, especially such as possess medicinal properties or are otherwise useful."  American Journal of Pharmacy, Vol 80, 1908.  Elgin, as it was called, after the birthplace of Hosack’s father, was the first public botanical garden in the United States.  A memorial plaque to Hosack and the Elgin Botanical Garden is within the surrounds of the Rockefeller Centre.



 

 

At his own expense, Hosack landscaped the garden with a variety of indigenous and exotic plants. By 1805, the garden was home to 1,500 species of plants, the majority, of American origin.



August 7th, 1823 - Today I got my luggage on shore, and through the Custom-house.  The after part of the day I devoted to a trip through the island [Staten]; observed the oaks and maples growing spontaneously [Douglas just can’t wait; even in the probably rather unpromising environs of Staten Island he just can’t wait to get stuck in to some botanising.  Good man!]


August 8th, 1823 - Today was occupied in getting my boxes to town; the after part of the day I spent with Dr Hosack

So finally, five days after dropping anchor, Douglas has himself and his luggage safe on shore and "in town". He doesn't mention his accommodation and leaves us wondering too what exactly his luggage contained. I doubt we'll ever know, on either point.

No comments:

Post a Comment