Tuesday 14 November 2017

A first frustrating (and hot) day in NYC



Monday, August 4th, 1823 [his first proper day in the USA] - This day presented nothing but bustle; every person seemed anxious to get on shore. I was permitted to go on shore at midday for two hours, and returned to the vessel again.

August 5th, 1823 - On application to the Medical Officer at quarantine ground as to my going to the city, I was informed that I could not possibly go with any of my clothing which was on board the vessel, which induced me to purchase clothing and go up, but had to return down in the evening. I called on Dr Hosack but unfortunately I did not see him. I then made my way through the town again and by steamboat got to Staten Island. I felt the heat very oppressive. Thermometer in the shade 96 deg Fahrenheit.

These two Journal entries show Douglas bursting with impatience to get on with the task, frustrated at only having limited freedom to escape the ship on which he has already spent 58 days on the Atlantic. He can't take the clothes he has so he buys more. He is anxious to make early contact with Hosack, founder of the Elgin Botanical Garden and someone who would be DD's mentor on this trip. Who gave him the introduction to Hosack? Almost certainly we can see the hand of Hooker here as Hosack had studied botany in Edinburgh. And how did Douglas get about in New York? On foot, I guess. Were there street maps? Unlikely perhaps. Certainly he was able to get across the harbour on a steamboat.

No comments:

Post a Comment