Monday 14 January 2019

Farewell party; ducks and quail!

Monday, December 8th, 1823 – Paid Prince’s bill, and settled account with Mr Kennedy 

9th – Expecting to sail next morning I had my Pigeons, Ducks and Quail on board, and it being my last day I spent it with Dr Hosack. At his house was a large party of friends who kept mirth up till a late hour in the evening. In the course of the day General Lewis called, having come to town for the season; he has kindly invited me to visit him should I not sail. 

I love the sound of this send-off party for Douglas. He has clearly endeared himself to many in the USA, excepting Mr Prince of course. I suspect drink may have been taken too! 

And what is it with the pigeons, ducks and quail? They have never been mentioned before. Are they new varieties DD is bringing home? That may well be the case, as they (the pigeons at least) are a gift from Clinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment