Sunday 25 November 2018

American Lotus - tasty if you can get it


Sunday, November 2nd, 1823 – Today I went in quest of Nelumbium luteum, which grows near Philadelphia, and which I saw in flower when here in August. I made an exertion to procure roots, but I am very sorry to say could not effect this as the roots run to an immense depth. However I am so far pleased at having ten or eleven seeds of it which I trust will grow.

Mr Bartram tried repeatedly to transplant it, without success. Hamilton, of Woodlands, whose domains lie on the banks of the Schuylkill, some years before his death took roots from the field south of Philadelphia and planted them in the mud of the Schuylkill when the tide ebbed and flowed – they grew and flowered well; this is the only instance which has been successfully tried.

Mr Nuttall says on the Mississippi at St Louis it grows much stronger and produces knobs or tubers at the root, which are greedily sought after by the natives. They are washed, boiled and then beat up with butter or grease. He also informs me that when in that quarter he frequently had a dish if them and thought them good. I tried for the tubers here but the immense depth which they run in mud rendered it impossible.

In the afternoon I called on Mr Dick and from his seed cabinet had a portion of everything which I conceived might be useful or interesting to the Society. This gentleman would make a very useful corresponding member. He has the friendship of all American travellers.
Nelumbium luteum is now known as Nelumbo lutea, and it's edible properties remain!
This plant has a large tuber that is used as a food source. This may be the plant called "macoupin" in Miami-Illinois. The seed is also edible and is known as "alligator corn".  It is widely planted in ponds for its foliage and flowers. American Lotus spreads via creeping rhizomes and seeds. 
Nelumbo lutea.jpg
 Wikimedia Commons - Epibase


No comments:

Post a Comment