Wednesday 30 May 2018

To Philadelphia


Wednesday, October 29th, 1823 – Waited on Mr Kennedy [who he?] and obtained some money of him [an advance on the account of the Horticultural Society, I guess?], then set out for Philadelphia. Got to New Brunswick at 4 o’clock in the afternoon and then by stage to Trenton, which I reached at 9 at night


Thursday, October 30th, 1823 – Left Trenton at 5 o’clock in the morning [another early start, in the dark] and got to Burlington at 9 [a.m., I think]. Went to Mr Smith and proceeded to take up the trees. In the evening called on W Coxe. Esq., [who he had met on his previous trip to Philadelphia], whom I am sorry to say I found very sick, so ill that he was by his medical attendant considered in danger. I am sorry; I am afraid he will not be able to get out before I leave.


October 31st – Finished taking up [the trees] and saw the trees packed by 11 o’clock. …….These I carried to the tavern and packed, and at 6 o’clock in the evening I went in steamboat to Philadelphia, which place I gained by 9 at night. The night was cold and rainy, with slight frost in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment